Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Diabetes and Exercise

Diabetes and Exercise

Just giving a brief post about how Diabetes and Exercise work with myself and when I have been playing hockey with Work. We played hockeys on Fridays from 4 to 4:50, so it was about a 50 min playing time of exercise. Great to get you moving and getting the exercise that is critical for a diabetic to keep doing.

We usually had 4 on 4 hockey and one sub at most. So you would play the full 50 mins almost hustling down the ice to get that puck. Quite enduring on the legs and again taking its toll on your diabetic sugar levels. As we know, exercise drops sugar levels in a diabetic and with exercise, less insulin is required.

Prior to playing, it would usually have been near the end of where my Novolin R would finish working. I gave Novolin R at lunch around 12 and since its about 1/2 hr before the insulin works, it would taper off around 4:30 pm, in the middle of the hockey game. Normally, I had checked my levels prior to leaving for the game around 3:15 pm to see if it was low or in a range that required a sugar bump to sustain a healthy sugar level while playing.

When it was lower sugar levels (between 5 and 7), I would eat an apple, some candy or as one of my coworkers brings in sometimes, a free chocolate bar. This would always get me enough sugar to bring it up prior to the game, which I then worked off skating. If it were higher, I would just let the exercise drop it down naturally.

My experience is to have something prior so that your sugar does not drop in a danger level. Also, I notice after playing and getting home and giving Novolin R, the insulin really seems to work harder and I can give less Novolin R with the same blood sugar control.

Exercise really does help with those sugar levels!

Regards,
Michael Kralj
Learn about the new Health Craze that should hit the US, learn about Bidet Toilets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Use of this web site is subject to the following terms and conditions. The content of this site is for informational purposes only and for Canadian residents. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician for any questions you may have. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this site.